The Taxation Office has an extensive facts sheet detailing the deductions that may be available to teachers in their tax returns. These deductions may include:
- The work-related portion of mobile phone and home phone costs
- Depreciation of equipment such as notebook computers, office furniture and printers
- The work-related portion of internet costs.
- Home office expenses such as electricity and insurance
- Work related car expenses for other than travelling to and from work.
- Premiums for sickness and accident insurance
- Repairs to work-related equipment such as computers
- Professional library costs
- Teaching aid expenses
- Union or professional association fees
- Sunscreen, sunglasses and sun hats
- Professional journal subscriptions
- Government teacher registration
- The costs of attending training courses and conferences which relate the teacher’s current role.
To claim a deduction for any of these expenses the substantiation requirements must be met. These requirement vary depending upon type of expense claimed, but most commonly an invoice has to be retained. There are additional requirements for claiming car expenses.
If you need any further information please us Contact Details
Note: These comments are of a general nature. Please refer to the Legal Page